Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Legalizing Pot Increase Crime Rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Legalizing Pot Increase Crime Rates?

Many people have argued that legalizing marijuana will lead to an increase in crimes. Others have said it will decrease crimes as people will no longer use the black market. A study has found that legalizing recreational marijuana has neither led to an increase nor drop in violent crimes. Whether other states have it the same is unknown. HOWEVER, this study has however been criticized because it limited the types of crimes it includes. This is an experiment that will become more accurate as more states begin to legalize marijuana for recreational use.
    Researchers came to this conclusion after comparing monthly crime rates in Colorado and Washington to those of 21 states that haven't legalized pot for medical or recreational use.
    Last edited by melohello; 01-07-2020, 03:40 AM.

I do not think legalizing pot will cause an increase in crime rates. I do not think you can tie a single legalization to crimes being increased. Another reason I do not believe this will cause an increase in crime, is because it will do the opposite for one specific example already mentioned, it will be legal to purchase and does no longer need to be purchased illegally.

Comment

theres probably the side effect of less people getting drunk that leads to less crime

Comment

Originally posted by BertBlaze View Post
        theres probably the side effect of less people getting drunk that leads to less crime
        Definitely. Pot doesn't really make people as crazy as alcohol does, so there's that benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitch View Post
          I do not think legalizing pot will cause an increase in crime rates. I do not think you can tie a single legalization to crimes being increased. Another reason I do not believe this will cause an increase in crime, is because it will do the opposite for one specific example already mentioned, it will be legal to purchase and does no longer need to be purchased illegally.
          Crime didn't increase nor decrease however. So something is up. Perhaps it is balancing out?

Comment

Originally posted by melohello View Post

Crime didn't increase nor decrease however. So something is up. Perhaps it is balancing out?
            Yeah, possibly it is balancing out, along with pot not being an extremely major factor of crimes.

Comment

Yeah, possibly it is balancing out, along with pot not being an extremely major factor of crimes.
              I have, however, found articles saying that marijuana leads to an increase in car crashes. I'll post this under this topic soon as I find the articles. It's important to know all consequences, good and bad.

Comment

I have, however, found articles saying that marijuana leads to an increase in car crashes. I'll post this under this topic soon as I find the articles. It's important to know all consequences, good and bad.
                Oh wow, I have not heard about that study. I would love to read it. I think it is extremely important to learn about the benefits and negativities of marijuana, especially since it may be legalized in a lot of places soon.

Comment

Oh wow, I have not heard about that study. I would love to read it. I think it is extremely important to learn about the benefits and negativities of marijuana, especially since it may be legalized in a lot of places soon.
                  I think what will happen is laws about the "highness" of a driver because of marijuana, similar to the drunkness about someone. The states that have it legalized for recreational use should take a further look in this and also educate people not to do marijuana before driving.

Comment

I think what will happen is laws about the "highness" of a driver because of marijuana, similar to the drunkness about someone. The states that have it legalized for recreational use should take a further look in this and also educate people not to do marijuana before driving.
                    Yeah, I agree, and if someone is high while driving and gets caught, get hit with a punishment such as the one that driving while drunk, like a DUI.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, and if someone is high while driving and gets caught, get hit with a punishment such as the one that driving while drunk, like a DUI.
                      I've heard arguments that it shouldn't be illegal to drive while high however. They reason that police will target black people for even a little bit of improper driving. I did not ask if they thought the same about alcohol however. It is something to consider though, we don't want another "war on drugs"

Comment

Yeah that is true, but still, intoxication is intoxication no matter what the substance in my opinion. Drugs, Alcohol, etc. it is still in your body and you are still driving when you know you aren't safe enough to.

Comment

Yeah that is true, but still, intoxication is intoxication no matter what the substance in my opinion. Drugs, Alcohol, etc. it is still in your body and you are still driving when you know you aren't safe enough to.
                          How much marijuana do you have to smoke before you get high? Does it also depend on weight and gender?

Comment

How much marijuana do you have to smoke before you get high? Does it also depend on weight and gender?
                            Similar to alcohol, I'm pretty sure it depends on a couple factors, how much pot you have to do to feel high.

Comment

Similar to alcohol, I'm pretty sure it depends on a couple factors, how much pot you have to do to feel high.
                              I'm not finding anything much online for how much weed you need to smoke in order to feel high. The closest I've found was this dumb graph:
                              http://happytravelersweedtours.com/w...1-1024x723.jpg

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X